Hotel Access Statement
Welcome to The Royal Hotel
We are committed to creating great memories and experiences for all our guests. We hope you will find this access information useful and that it helps to make your visit an enjoyable one.
We are aware that everyone’s needs are different, so if there is any detail you are looking for that is not covered in the information below, then please do get in touch and we will be happy to help. And of course, our friendly and experienced team will be on hand to assist you at any point during your stay with us.
Some general points on access
- The entrance at the front of the hotel gives level access.
- Our Regency Restaurant and main lounge are all on one level and are accessible from the main entrance.
- The Royal Hotel is equipped with a lift to all floors.
- There are two rooms on the Ground Floor with level access.
Directions to the hotel
- By car: from the M5 take Junction 27 to the A361 and Barnstaple
- Follow signs to Barnstaple before taking the A39 to Bideford.
- Approaching Bideford turn right before the bridge and follow the sign for Instow.
- Turn left at the roundabout and follow the road ahead to the hotel.
- Old Bideford Bridge is on your right and the Royal Hotel’s private car park is on the left.
- By rail or coach: The train and bus stations are located in Barnstaple Town Centre, where you will find regular bus services to Bideford.
- Our postcode is EX39 4AE.
Before you arrive
- Enquiries and reservations may be made online or by phone, fax or email.
- Should you require a taxi from the Barnstaple Railway or Bus Station (30 minutes drive), we use a reliable company and would be able to book them on your behalf.
When you arrive at the hotel
- There is a drop off point at the main entrance to the hotel.
- There is a designated disabled parking space in the car park opposite the hotel main entrance.
- The entrance to the front of the hotel is level.
- A porter is always available to assist you and, if you wish, your luggage can be collected from your car and delivered direct to your room. Our porter will also be available to help on departure.
Our Reception area
- The floor is carpeted.
- Our Reception area is all on one level.
- Our staff are always available to help you with check-in.
- All corridors are well lit and carpeted.
- The Regency Restaurant and main lounge are on one level and accessible from the front entrance.
- The Kingsley Room Restaurant is accessed via the lift or stairs and there is a small step at the entrance to it; the whole area is carpeted.
- Any doors in these areas are on auto closures.
- Our disabled toilet is situated on the ground floor and is easily accessible from the Regency Restaurant and lounge. It is fitted with an emergency alarm.
- The Gents toilets are adjacent to the disabled toilet.
- Ladies toilets are on the ground floor adjacent to the front entrance of the hotel.
The Regency Restaurant and Kingsley Restaurant
- There is ample movable seating in both and there are chairs with or without arms available.
- There is background music in most areas. This can be adjusted if requested.
- Service is a mixture of self service and table service. Full waiter service can be provided if required.
- Restaurant tables are laid with white table linen.
- There is a mixture of natural and artificial light in all areas although the Regency restaurant is mainly artificial.
- There are two rooms located on the ground floor with level access.
- We do not have adapted bathrooms but many are fitted with grab rails over the bath.
- There is a lift, with Braille, to all floors.
- There are telephones in all rooms and 24 hour room service is available.
Please reserve the following equipment when you make your booking. If you require anything that is not listed below, please contact us and we will do our utmost to arrange the hire on your behalf.
- Bath seat
- Raised toilet seat
- High Chair
- The fire alarm is a high pitched siren and does not have flashing lights.
- Deafguards linked to the fire alarm system are available on request for those guests with impaired hearing.
- Emergency evacuation plans are available in each room. Please ensure that you make yourself familiar with these for your own safety.
- An evacuation procedure can be agreed with guests on arrival.
- Service dogs are welcome at all times and pet dogs can be accommodated in some rooms (Please ask when booking).
- Small fridges are available on request for medication.
- A local bus service is available from outside the front entrance.
We have tried to be as accurate and detailed as possible in our Access Statement but we are always willing to give further information on any aspect of the hotel. If you feel you have a particular query we have not covered then please do not hesitate to contact us.
We are always looking to improve our service to our guests, so please let us know if you have any comments about this access statement. We would welcome any suggestions you may have that would make your stay with us more comfortable and enjoyable.
Tel: 01237 472005
Fax: 01237 478957
Address: The Royal Hotel, Barnstaple Street, Bideford, Devon EX39 4AE